Friday, April 01, 2011

Following my own advice...

Stay in the moment.

That's advice I've given to others.  I try and remind myself daily to live in the moment and experience what is happening RIGHT NOW and not let my silly little mind rush ahead with a lot of "what ifs" which I have no control over anyway.  I've read many articles written by psychologists and other knowledgeable people urging me to live in the moment...and so I try.


Often I fail.


Is anyone familiar with this poem?  It's called Life and was written by Paul Laurence Dunbar.



A CRUST of bread and a corner to sleep in,

a minute to smile and an hour to weep in,

A pint of joy to a peck of trouble,

And never a laugh but the moans come double;

And that is life!



A crust and a corner that love makes precious,

With a smile to warm and the tears to refresh us;

And joy seems sweeter when cares come after,

And a moan is the finest of foils for laughter;

And that is life!

 
Reid had an appointment in the Fast Track Clinic yesterday and his white cell count went up to 5.2 from 4.4, but his platelets took a slight dip down to 39 from 44, so the Central Venous Catheter couldn't be removed.  He'll have more blood drawn on Monday and if it doesn't go up he'll be given a transfusion of some drug that will help them go up.  At 30 days post transplant there is an antibiotic that they like to put them on to help prevent a certain type of pneumonia.  The drug can't be given unless the counts are good because this drug can also make them go down a little.  Hopefully, between now and Monday those platelets will go up again.
 
We also learned that they want him to have a CT scan on Monday.  Usually this is done three months post transplant, but sometimes done sooner.  His doctor wants it done now and we'll learn the results on Wednesday when he sees the doctor. 
 
I'm afraid I'll always have some concern whenever he has a scan done.
 
 
Note to self:  Stay in the moment.
 
 
Meanwhile, I've decided not to go home this weekend.  Jim wanted to come and stay here so I could go home for a while, but I'm concerned about the traffic with The Final Four and the drive past Reliant Stadium.  I really don't want to get in that mess.  So, Jim will come visit instead.  He won't be able to stay overnight because of the dog and cats, but he doesn't mind the traffic and the drive back and forth as much as me.
 
I need to get moving here and get out to the grocery store and pick up a few things while the going is good!
 
Have a good weekend...Betty

4 comments:

  1. There are so many ups and downs to go through for Reid. I know you'll be worrying til you hear everything is good. That was a very good poem and it is life. I'm so glad Reid has you guys for support and the great medical staff there. He's in good hands and in God's hands. {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Betty..... I'm so with you ... on trying to live and stay in the moment. Easy to say, but sure hard to do on a day to day basis.

    I want to send Reid another card, but wasn't sure if I should still send it to the MD Anderson address.
    Have a good weekend!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to pray for Reid. I added your blog button to my Two Happy Blog. Thanks for visiting, love and hugs and MANY blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, staying in the moment is all you can do but it's easier said than done, I know. Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.