Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

I've been scanning more slides in my spare time. It's time consuming because I spend so much time studying them and trying to decide which ones to use. I can't possibly scan all of them and the quality of the slides isn't always very good. I bring them into my photo software and try to improve them a little, but sometimes I have to make them darker than I'd prefer and some I just can't make dark enough because they're so light. However, I'm sure having fun going down Memory Lane and reliving the years we spent in the US Navy. It was a wonderful time in our lives and we have many good memories.


This picture was taken on May 29, 1969 BK (before Keith). I was on my way to Naples, Italy and the US Naval Hospital to wait for Keith to be born. That's Edie Whitehead (one of the Base nurses) climbing the steps.





And we're on our way...


That plane looks like Orville and Wilbur could have been the pilots! It' s actually a Navy C-117 that was passing through our base on the way to Naples that day. We had a weekly Medivac flight on Tuesdays, but it was determined that I probably wouldn't last until then and so I flew up on a Thursday and Keith was born on Saturday, May 31, 1969. It's a good thing I went ahead because I was only in labor a few hours and probably never would have made it to Naples in time.


Oh yes, and here's the young Ensign hard at work!

We look like kids! I guess that's because we were kids. Hard to believe that was almost 40 years ago. Time flies.

2 comments:

  1. I think your photos are lovely - they evoke the period. I've found Carluccio's arancini recipe, btw. It's at:
    http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Antonio_Carluccio's_Arancini.aspx

    You could add the peas and ham to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such neat pictures, Betty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.