Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Peaceful Transfer Of Power...

Something pretty amazing took place today. We have a new leader and not a single shot was fired, no one stormed the White House...everything was done peacefully. As a matter of fact, it was almost a love fest. The old and new shook hands, hugs and kisses were shared, and the 44th President of the United States was sworn into office.

I've been glued to the television all day. I'll be honest, I was a skeptic and didn't think a black person or a woman could be elected President of this country in my lifetime. I'm 63. I was very wrong and today I'm so proud.

I grew up in a politically active family. Politics was always a hot topic in our household, but instead of inspiring me it had the opposite affect. I've always considered politics a necessary evil in a Democracy. I was a Young Citizen For Johnson at the 1964 Democratic National Convention only because my parents made me. My father was an alternate delegate that year and since they were going anyway it was decided that I should be a Young Citizen. I was also recruited on election days to help at Democratic Headquarters, but it was always under protest. So, I've always disliked politics.

That's about to change. I'm finding myself insprired today. Yes, I voted for our new President, but I didn't become involved in the campaign. I just watched from the sidelines and now I'm sorry. For the first time in my life I wish I had participated in the political process and could say that I worked to help get him elected. I'm so grateful to all the people that worked so hard to make this day possible.

Our new President ran a very fair campaign. I liked what I saw during the transition too. I hope the people will give him a chance. Change will not come quickly, but at least we're headed in the right direction.

I keep humming the song Only In America by JayAnd The Americans. It was popular when I was a teenager. Anyone else remember some of these lyrics?

Only in America
Can a guy from anywhere
Go to sleep a pauper and wake up a millionaire

Only in America
Can a kid without a cent
Get a break and maybe grow up to be President

Only in America
Can a kid who's washin' cars
Take a giant step and reach right up and touch the stars...

Yes, only in America. It's been a pretty amazing day. I pray that God will watch over our new President...guide and protect him.

2 comments:

  1. Betty, I loved your post. I loved watching the inauguration; it was so beautiful and touching, and I'm only half American! I'm so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also pray that he and his family stay safe. As you say, it was an amazing day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.