Friday, January 30, 2009

GOULASH STEW RECIPE

When my husband was in the Navy from the late 60's to the early 70's I purchased some cookbooks that the Officers' Wives Club sold. They had some really good recipes. At that time the wives did a lot of cooking and entertaining and no one did it better. I don't think the wives clubs exist anymore. They've been replaced with the spouses clubs. Anyway, my recipe books were falling apart after so many years and I was thrilled to find replacements on eBay. I also found some others that I didn't even know existed.


Here's a good recipe for a cold winter's night.

GOULASH STEW

· 1 lb. stew beef
· 2 medium onions, sliced
· ¼ t. dry mustard
· 1 ¼ t. paprika
· 3 T. brown sugar
· 1 ¼ t. salt (I omit)
· 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
· ¾ t. cider vinegar
· 6 T. catsup
· 1 ½ c. water
· 3 T. flour

Brown meat with onion. Combine mustard, paprika, brown sugar and salt; add Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, catsup and one cup of water. Add to meat and onions. Cover and cook slowly for two hours and 30 minutes. (I find two hours is usually enough and I add additional water while it’s simmering.) Blend flour with ½ cup of water; add to meat mixture. Stir until thickened. Serve over noodles. Yield: 4 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...sounds delicious, and sounds a lot like my Mom's beef stew, which I make about once per month. I add potatoes and a bay leaf to the stew, too. Mmm...nothing like a hearty stew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds warming and lovely. I never thought of looking for out-of-print cookery books on ebay but I will try it now. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.