Thursday, January 01, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR! MY FAVORITE RECIPES

My friend Karen suggested I do a blog about quilting. That would work great except I know absolutely nothing about quilting and wouldn't have the patience to cut and piece together small pieces of fabric. I'd go crazy! I enjoy looking at quilts, attend the Houston Quilt Show, and often walk through the quilt store, but that's as far as it goes. I'm the Queen of unfinished projects already. I still have a drawer full of unfinished cross stitch projects from the 1970's.

Instead, I thought I'd share a favorite recipe once in a while. If you're reading this then today is your lucky day...I hope. This is a recipe my entire family enjoys. It's a do ahead breakfast dish and wonderful for brunch or a special weekend breakfast. We've often had it on Christmas morning since it's basically done ahead of time and just needs to sit out for a short while and then popped in the oven.

Egg and Sausage Casserole


1 1/2 pounds pork sausage (Jimmy Dean)
2 1/4 cups seasoned croutons
4 eggs, beaten
2 1/4 cups milk
1 can mushroom soup
1 can mushrooms (I omit because my kids think I'm trying to poison them if they see pieces of mushroom.)
3/4 t. dry mustard
2 cups shredded cheese

Grease a 13" x 9" x 2" pan.
Cook sausage - brown and crumble.
Spread croutons in bottom of pan.
Spread sausage over croutons.
Combine eggs, milk, soup, mushrooms and dry mustard. Mix well and pour over sausage.
Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Remove from refrigerator and let sit for 30 minutes.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Spread cheese evenly over top and bake five minutes longer or until cheese melts.
Optional: garnish with cherry tomatoes, green onions, and parsley.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...sounds delicious! What a great idea; posting recipes. I'll try to find a good one for tomorrow. I think I'll post my New Year Cookies recipe. I haven't made them yet; I took it really easy today and had a fun day without cooking anything. I posted on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Betty, oh I make this on Christmas morning. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your recipes because I know what a good cook you are. If you've finished making this casserole, why don't you hop over to Quakertown Quilts (you know how lucky you are to live next door to that shop) and get the simplest quilt pattern ever. Wait, maybe I could post a Simple Pattern for you on my blog. Then you could go get fabric at QQ. I'm such a Quilting Cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.