Friday, December 04, 2009

Snow???

The TV weather people haven't had this much fun since Hurricane Ike. Yes, it snowed today in Southeast Texas. They tell us this is the earliest it's ever snowed in the Houston area, but they also tell us it usually only snows once every four years or so. We did have a few flurries last December, so this snowfall really wasn't due.

Reid had an appointment at MD Anderson and I had really hoped to get him there. This is what it looked like when we were ready to leave. It didn't look too bad, but the snow flakes were the largest ones I had ever seen (and I'm from New Jersey originally). You can't really tell by the picture, but believe me they were huge!



Anyway, as we drove along the snow really started to come down. This is about six miles from the house. The median was decorated with American flags in honor of a soldier that was killed in Afghanistan. He was from a neighboring town, but his funeral service was held at a church in our town and this is the route the motorcade would be taking later in the day to the cemetery. I thought it was really nice that our town put out all the flags in his memory. You can only see the one in this picture, but they lined the median for miles.


The camera caught some of those big snowflakes and they actually look like pieces of torn paper.

The snow kept getting worse and visibility was poor. Shortly after this we called the hospital and got his appointment rescheduled for next week and then headed home. By the time we got to the house the snow had let up and shortly afterwards it turned to rain.

We did have a few more snowflakes around dinner time, but now it's all gone. I realize this would be no big deal to people living up north, but for us it was exciting. Once again I didn't need our snow shovel. Yes, we still have one. It came with us when we moved to this part of the country in 1980. We've kept it all these years because you just never know. We've kept the sled too. I guess it's wishful thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Love the snow pictures, but what a shame that you had to turn back. Might be our turn today but it looks doubtful at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You call that snow☺ I've got to post some photos from my yard soon. Now - that's SNOW!

    The cone papers? Any pastry shop will have them. I got mine at Walmart in the cake decorating department! Also, call your local JoAnns - they are a good bet, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.