Monday, December 21, 2009

DAD'S CHRISTMAS PARTY

I had intended to add one of my doll pictures to the bottom of this post, but I couldn't get the picture dragged to the bottom, so it will have to appear here. I also tried to just delete the picture, but I have yet to figure out how to delete a picture once it's placed in a post. If someone out there knows how to do it...please let me know. I'm using the old post editor since I couldn't find spell check in the updated edition. Is it there and I'm just missing it? Again, if someone knows...please let me know.

This is a picture of Ginny with her Advent Wreath. It seemed timely and I had intended to put it in yesterday's post and forgot.



Now on to the Christmas party. Last Friday I attended the party at Dad's nursing home. Sadly, it was one of those days when he didn't have much to say and seemed to be lost in his own little world. I went over again yesterday and it was pretty much the same.

Before the party began I brought him to his room so he could open the cards I had brought over. He opened them very slowly and studied each card. I really think he was trying to figure out who they were from and I tried to jog his memory with names and stories.



Then it was off to the party. There was punch and finger foods to eat. Dad ate and looked around the room. Again, I think he was trying to figure out what was going on.



And then they got to open their presents. I had gotten Dad a snow globe that runs on batteries. I showed him how to push the button to turn it on and he seemed to enjoy watching the snow swirl around and the music play.

It's very sad to see what Alzheimer's had done to Dad's mind, but on occasion he has a good day where he talks a little and still has that twinkle in his eye.




2 comments:

  1. Ah, that is sad. When you think how he used to be the life of the party, as you have described it. Your package arrived today, Betty, I do thank you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post has brought tears to my eyes, although I realize you had no intention of making your readers cry.

    My grandma has Alzheimer's now and it's so very upsetting to me. On Thanksgiving she asked my husband what "that" was referring to the turkey. After she ate her portion she asked him why she never got any "of that" pointing to the plate of turkey. I can't believe several years ago Grandma was busy in the kitchen helping Mom prepare the holiday dinner.

    It is very difficult to understand why this disease robs people of their thoughts and memories. I hope I never reach that point. My memories are all I have. As you can tell from my blog, I hold on to them so dearly.

    Love and happy holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.