Friday, March 18, 2011

Just a quick update on day +7

Today Reid wasn't feeling as well as he was yesterday, but so far the test on his lung tissue has been inconclusive.  They were trying to grow a culture and as of this morning when the doctor came in nothing had grown.  I'm not sure how long they give it, but I take nothing at this point as good news.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

His fever had remained very low yesterday, but this afternoon he felt warm and it had gone up.  I'm sure that had something to do with the way he felt.  They had given him Benadryl again for a platelet transfusion.  They always give Benadryl whenever any kind of transfusion is given. I think they said it's done because of the preservatives that are used.  I guess it's in case of an allergic reaction, but Reid hates the way it makes him sleep.  He wants to stay awake!  I think another one of the reasons he was kind of miserable today is because he doesn't want to use the pain killers for the same reason.

The last couple of days have brought on nose bleeds due to a low platelet count, so he has to have platelets and sometimes transfusions.  This is all to be expected at this point.

The good news is that today for the first time in days his white blood count was no longer zero.  Today it was .1.  It isn't much,but it's a start.  We were excited!

The cards continue to arrive.  Someone even sent him a lovely book.  When things settle down I'll try and thank as many people as possible personally, but in some cases I won't be able to due to a lack of address or blog name.  Please know that everything is very much appreciated.  He's really enjoyed all the mail.

Thanks once again for everything.

I've been taking pictures for Reid.  Here are a few:

Whoops...what's going on???  I clicked to add a picture and it brought up a box saying sign in for Google Cloud Picker to select an item from online storage.  What???   I've always added pictures from my computer.  I hope that's just a temporary glitch.  I do have a Picasa album for the slide show on my blog, but my other pictures are on my hard drive and I'd like to keep it that way.

Oh well...no pictures.  Betty

6 comments:

  1. .1 is good. My prayers are still with you all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for a .1, it sure beats 0! Praying the fever subsides and he continues to move forward.

    Reids sure different than me..... he wants to be awake, and I'm thinking I'd probably want to sleep, but one never knows until they've walked the walk, and he's walking the walk with such grace
    Continued prayers for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that his white blood cell count is going up even though it isn't that high yet. Hopefully tomorrow it will be much higher! For some reason Benadryl gives me insomnia. Maybe it was because I had to take it too much or something for allergies. I wonder if over time it will do the same to Reid. I'm sure he would welcome that at this point.

    Hugs & Prayers!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, activity within the white blood cells, that is such good news! I hope it is higher later today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such exciting news! It gave me goosebumps.

    Betty, don't worry about thank you notes. When Reid is home, just post a thank you on your blog.

    The mail is to give you comfort, not make more work and worry for you silly girl.

    Hugs and prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betty, I came over from Donnie's blog where I heard about Reids fight with his cancer. My prayers and blessings go out to you today and everyday until Reid is better.

    Prayers and love to Reid and your family.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.