Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Can we outsmart a cat???

Can we outsmart a cat? Maybe.

Back in 1980 or 1981 my husband bought me a dollhouse kit that I had been wanting for some time. It was the Greenleaf Pierce and it took me 10 or more years before I finally got the entire thing put together and painted. I've never completed the inside, but I love this house and have had it on display in the dining room for many years.

Last week I walked into the dining room and found chewed pieces of wood. At first I couldn't figure out where they came from and then I realized they were pieces of my dollhouse. Ashley is the only cat that enjoys chewing on things, so I knew right away who was guilty. Upon closer inspection I realized he had chewed a porch railing and some of the fancy Victorian trim on the roof.

We talked it over and decided to try covering the house with a heavy piece of plastic. The next morning the plastic had been chewed and more chewed wood was found. This called for drastic measures.


We went to the box store a bought a couple of large boxes.  Reid slit the one box so we could wrap it around the outside of the house.

Ash watched closely from right around the corner.





I'm pretty sure he was trying to figure out how to destroy our box, but Reid kept working and put together the second box so we could slip it over the top.

Of course, Ashley had to check it out.




Isn't this an attractive addition to the dining room???




My hope is that he'll outgrow this chewing thing and this beautiful box fortress will be gone soon.  Meanwhile, I wrote to Greenleaf to see if I can order replacement pieces.

Saturday was Reid's 36th birthday.  Keith surprised us by driving over from Austin for the day.  We all went to the Grand Lux Cafe for lunch.  It's over by the Houston Galleria and is owned by The Cheesecake Factory, so everything was delicious.  Of course, once again I forgot my camera.  When we got home Reid had to lay down for a while and wasn't available for the picture when Keith was leaving.  Once again, I remembered to take a picture at the last second.  This is Jim and Keith by the car.




In the evening Reid went out again with some friends to celebrate.  What a difference a year makes.  Last year he didn't feel much like celebrating.  I'll try and remember to get a picture of him in March on his new birthday.  A lot of people celebrate the anniversary of their stem cell transplant as their new birthday.  I'll be sure and get a picture then!

5 comments:

  1. I think that box is so fashionable that I want one! NOT! teehee Well you gotta do something - right?

    So Reid has two wonderful birthdays! And it has almost been a year. SO proud of him.

    And his brother who surprised him for his birthday.

    I love the Cheesecake Factory.

    Sounds like a great birthday.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord, these cats are so destructive each in their own crazy style. Good thing you got the house covered for a while. I'm so glad Reid and all of you had a nice birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitty's are such a blessing and such stinkers! Our new kitty, Pumpkin is waking me up every morning around 4 AM.....such a stinker!

    Pictures or not..... your times together are wonderful! So happy that Reid is having fun and enjoying birthdays!
    Hoping your kitty behaves himself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the things we do for, and take from our kitty babies! Glad you had a good outing! Is that Alice in Wonderland from Ashton Drake I see?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad kitty! Bad, bad, bad kitty! lol Maybe you could paint a pretty picture on the box???

    Happy Birthday to Reid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.