Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Alphabe-Thursday..."G" as in GOOD Food



OK, so I'm really grasping at straws here because I was totally unprepared for Alphabe-Thursday up until a few minutes ago. We're already up to the letter "G" and I had to quickly come up with a post. Then I dug into one of my recipe boxes and came up with a GOOD recipe for Rice and Vermicelli. For more Alphabe-Thursday posts head over to Jenny's blog, Jenny Matlock..."off on my tangent."



I haven't been around lately reading blogs or answering E-mails, but things were kind of hectic over the holidays. I came down with a cold on Christmas Day, our oldest son and his cats were temporarily camping out in the computer room, and time just seemed to fly. Then Reid gave me season three and four of The Amazing Race on DVD for my birthday and I've been watching those episodes in my spare time.

I'll have a family catch up post soon, but for today I wanted to post another recipe and decided on "G" for GOOD tasting food and GOOD for you. This is a pretty simple recipe and we have it often as a side dish with chicken. It only takes a few minutes to put together and then you just pop it in the oven for 30-45 minutes. I always use brown rice in this recipe and it has only one tablespoon of butter which makes it healthier. I found this recipe somewhere online around ten years ago.

Rice and Vermicelli

1 cup rice (I use brown rice)

½ cup thin spaghetti broken in 2 inch pieces

1 chicken bouillon cube

2 cups hot water

1 Tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a casserole dish melt butter on stove (I spray the casserole with a little PAM first); add rice and spaghetti and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add water and chicken bouillon cube and stir until cube dissolves. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (45 minutes for brown rice). Serves 4


I don't have a picture, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Now head over to Jenny's blog so you can visit some other Alphabe-Thursday posts.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely recipe! Have a GREAT New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have given me a great idea with this recipe! The possibilities are endless! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with this recipe. Great G word

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you came up with a great post, really quickly! It looks great! I know what you mean, I had this one word days ago that I thought I'd use, but had no photo for it, and then it had so many variations with it...so I really had to cram it together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a yummy dish, and take care of yourself. Hope you had a great time during the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a rice lover so your recipe is my kind of food.. will surly try it!
    good post
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like an interesting recipe Betty - rice and spaghetti - yum. Hope you area feeling better and everything is getting back to normal. Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray, another food post. Your rice would have gone well with my soup and salad! heehee. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That seems like a very easy recipe to follow. Will be noting it down. Visiting from alpha-thursday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful ideas with this recipe!

    A very Happy New Year to you and yours!

    Great post – as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't made this recipe in years!

    I'm excited to try it again and all I have in the house for the moment is brown rice!

    I think it might go great with some leftover bbq'd pork I have in the fridge!

    Hope you're feeling all better now and on the mend.

    The holidays seem to take so much out of us every year!

    Next year I'm gonna change things up!

    Thanks for a great link for the letter G.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.