Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Alphabe-Thursday..."I" as in Baked INDIAN Pudding



Once again, it's Alphabe-Thursday time. This week we are studying the letter "I" as in Durgin-Park Baked INDIAN Pudding.

Durgin-Park is a well known restaurant in Boston, MA. I've never been there, but would like to go someday. My maiden name is Durgin and I have an old tape recording of one of my grandfather's sisters claiming that we're related to the Durgin that started this restaurant, but to my knowledge that's never been documented.

Durgin-Park is well known today for their Yankee recipes and sassy waitresses. According the their website, it started out in pre-revolutionary times as a small dining room in a large market house along the waterfront. It catered to market men and the crews anchored in Boston Harbor. Around 180 years ago it was purchased by Eldridge Park, John Durgin, and John Chandler. Mr. Park and Mr. Durgin died within a few years of the purchase and Mr. Chandler named the place in their memory. Mr. Chandler and his family ran the restaurant for 63 years. Over the years it's been sold a few times and is currently owned by the Arc Restaurant Corporation.

Some years back I was in Tuesday Morning and saw the Durgin Park Cookbook.


Of course, I had to buy it.

One of their better known recipes is Baked INDIAN Pudding.



DURGIN-PARK Baked Indian Pudding
1 cup yellow granulated corn meal
½ cup black molasses
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup lard or butter
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1-1/2 quarts hot milk

            Mix all the ingredients thoroughly with one half (3/4 quart) of the above hot milk and bake in very hot oven until it boils. Then stir in remaining half (3/4 quart) of hot milk, and bake in slow heat oven for five to seven hours. Bake in stone crock, well greased inside. 


I must admit that I've never made this recipe.  To be honest, I don't have a crock and I wouldn't want to have to hang around waiting for it to bake the remaining 5-7 hours after it boils!  

Now head over to Ms. Jenny's blog for a list of this week's Alphabe-Thursday participants.

15 comments:

  1. I don't know what that is exactly - but I do know that molasses is supposed to be very good for you. Might give it a spin. Sandie♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:11 PM

    I'm not sure I'd want to try it either, but it makes me appreciate modern conveniences. What a great choice for the letter I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if one could let it back over night. It sounds like it would taste very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting bit of history and the recipe too. I'm with you... about the waiting around for it to bake...but I wonder if you could do the first part and finish it in a crock pot...I might have to experiment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got a recipe from someone here for her Grandma's molasses cookies that were YUMMY!!!! I'm too impatient for this one, Betty!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betty,

    First of all, thanks so much for leaving comments on my blog. That certainly makes blogging extra special! :)

    That recipe sounds interesting, but I am with you -- no chance that I can bear the long cooking time!

    I would also know the history behind the quote on the building. If I ever find out more, I will be sure to share it on my blog.

    It has been interesting to hear that you have German roots. :)

    Are you interested in winning a white cotton T-shirt with a pink heart and the words I ♥ Oktoberfest in size L? Then come over to my blog until Sunday, 22nd January, and leave a comment here.

    What about having a look at my Advent and Christmas and getting an impression of Munich's Christmas market ? Moreover, you can see some frosty weather photos and pictures from a walk around my neighborhood on January 1st. Finally, there are photos of New Year's Eve . Of course, comments are welcome -- it's always great to hear what you think!

    Have a wonderful 2012,
    your blog friend from Munich, Germany,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds like something I would really enjoy!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandmother used to make Baked Indian Pudding and it is absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting recipe, I wonder if it tastes like cornbread? So many of the old recipes were so vague about the cooking process, I guess the details were passed down by word of mouth from generation to generation. Have a great weekend, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is some baking process! I've had Indian pudding, but not for a long time, and it was cooked on top of the stove. And it didn't take a bazillion hours!
    How fascinating that a restaurant has been around for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Betty. Interesting recipe and nice to find something with your name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello.
    never heard of this one before.
    Wonder who has all that time to wait to sample a piece of this pudding?
    If you ever get to make it, I'd love to see what it looks like.
    Thanks for sharing. Nice of you to stop by too.

    Into Nothingness...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to try your recipe.. I did make Indian Pudding once and my family all made a face at it! They said it was gritty and not pudding at all??? The ingredients seem to be the same??
    Nice post and it would be nice if indeed your were part of that restaurant's history!
    Nice Post
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds interesting. Not sure my kids would go for it, but anything with molasses in it has my vote. Thanks for stopping by The Simple Life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like quite an interesting recipe!

    I have a crock you can borrow!

    Thanks for linking up!

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.