Sunday, March 15, 2015

Learning about Pinterest


Pinterest has been a learning experience for me. 

I guess I'm a little naive.  I thought it was an online bulletin board where you could "pin" things that you wanted to save and come back to later.  Perfect for my doll hobby.

I started "pinning" pictures of Vogue dolls, outfits, furniture, etc., that I wanted to save for reference.  I'm kind of selective with what I chose to "pin."  For instance, I want a 1954 Vogue Ginny doll outfit on a 1954 doll.  I won't "pin" a picture of the outfit on a 1956 doll.  I like to type a description and mention the book I use for reference.  I'm doing it for my own information and perhaps I can help someone else learn more about these dolls and their accessories.

Then I started noticing people following me.  I'd go and look at their "pins" and couldn't understand why they'd want to follow my doll "pins."  It was obvious by what they were "pinning" that they had absolutely no interest in dolls.  Then I started noticing that some people had thousands of "pins."  Like some have over 100,000 "pins."  With all that "pinning" do they have time to go back and look at them?

Then it dawned on me.  They just follow everyone in hopes they'll follow them in return.  It's all about the numbers. Sorry, but I'm not going to follow someone that I have no intention of ever going back to visit.  It doesn't make sense to me.

I was reading a lady's blog a while back and she was saying how people recommend "pinning" at least 27 "pins" a day.  Apparently, they're trying to bring traffic to their websites and blogs that way.  I guess I can understand if you have a business, but why would anyone just want to "pin" 27 things just for the sake of "pinning?"

I noticed that one lady with over 100,000 pins has now added a notice to each of her boards stating, "Pinning politely is appreciated.  Raiding is not."  She also threatened to block anyone that took more than five of her "pins."  I thought that was kind of funny.  I've had people "pin" a bunch of my "pins" at one time and I took it as a compliment.  Besides, I don't own any of them.  Even the ones I've uploaded directly from my computer.  Once they're out there anyone can have them.  If I wanted to keep that from happening I wouldn't upload them to Pinterest.

I enjoy "Pinning."  It actually helps me learn more about the dolls I love.

Please, if I ever get anywhere close to 100,000 "pins" stop me!  I can't help but wonder how many hours that would take.  It sounds to me like some people are spending way too much time online and taking Pinterest way too seriously.  It's suppose to be fun!  At least that's how I look at it.



2 comments:

  1. So cool!!

    You should check out my blog if you have time and leave a comment on a post you like!! :) Keep up the great work!

    https://www.blogger.com/profile/01719899317129227765

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty at one time I seriously wanted to make money with my blog as my way of bringing income in. But it was a lot of work and it made it a job instead of fun! So i am in it for the fun now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.