Friday, February 25, 2011

"Day -13" Starts Tomorrow

I was having so much fun with my new Netbook, but then it quit.  Yes, quit.  One minute it was fine and the next minute it wasn't.  It was so new I hadn't even had a chance to drop it yet.  If I was a geek I could probably fix it myself, but I'm not.  So, it will have to wait until Troy comes over.  I had been planning to use it during Reid's hospitalization and while we're living down in the Medical Center, so I'm really hoping Troy can figure out what's wrong and fix it.

Yesterday Reid had an appointment with the doctor that's running the clinical trial.  Reid's stem cell doctor was away, so he saw this doctor instead.  His cold and the shingles are gone, so he'll be admitted on Monday for the chemo and then the stem cell transplant.  He starts the injections tomorrow and will have one each day for three days to try and keep him from having too much trouble with mouth sores from the chemo they'll be giving him.  They keep referring to this as the "really strong" chemo.  This is the chemo that is so strong it will destroy his immune system which is the reason for the stem cell transplant.  We're praying that it will also destroy any remaining cancer.

Reid's stem cell doctor told him a couple of weeks ago that he believes someday this chemo will become the standard for relapsed Hodgkin's.  The doctor yesterday said the results have been promising...especially in patients with Hodgkin's like his.

So, tomorrow he starts the countdown with the first injection and that will be considered day -13.  The days before transplant are minus days and the day of transplant is day 0.  After that the days will be plus days as in +1, +2, etc.  There is a risk of infection while his immune system is destroyed and hopefully the stem cells will engraft quickly and begin to multiply.  He's going to be in the hospital until they feel his numbers are high enough to give him some protection.  That can be two or three weeks from the time of transplant, so he's going to be in the hospital for a while.  He's not exactly looking forward to it, but he's resigned and ready to get the show on the road.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get some things done before I spend time down there every day with Reid.  Today I mowed the back lawn.  Actually, it was the weeds that were growing and I needed to get them knocked down.  We don't have St. Augustine grass in the back.  St. Augustine is a warm climate grass, but it doesn't grow well in the shade and we have a lot of trees.  Something like Fescue can't tolerate the heat, so I let Monkey Grass grow all over the yard.  Monkey Grass isn't really lawn grass.  It's used as edging and usually grows along borders or around trees.  I just leave it tall around the edges and trees and then mow it shorter everywhere else.  It's slow growing, so I don't have to mow too often.  Hopefully, today's mowing will last a while.

I know some places have had snow again.  I'm sorry to report that I have still not seen a robin, so I don't believe they've started their migration north yet.  Or perhaps they have and I've just been too busy to notice.  Normally, I'd be walking outside a little this time of year, but I just haven't had time.  I did notice violet plants all over the yard today, but no flowers yet.  I also saw a butterfly go by. The trees are all budding though and I'll probably be seeing leaves soon.  It's been in the 70's lately.

Does anyone remember this song?  It goes..."Spring is here said the daffodil; how do you know said the old oak tree."  Every spring I find myself humming it, but those are the only words I remember.  One of the kids sang it in preschool.  It might have been Reid, but I'm not sure.  If anyone has a child or grandchild that sings this song today please send me the words.  Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. I am keeping my fingers crossed and sending prayers that the chemo will do it's job for your son!
    And no, I haven't seen robins here yet. It rained all day yesterday, which washed away a lot of the snow mountains, but not all of it by far. And we may (hope not) get more.
    No, I've never heard that song - sorry!
    Can't you send the netbook back? You just got it, it should still be under warranty?
    Enjoy your spring temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Betty, all the best for Reid. May the chemo kill every last cancer cell.

    I wonder if the memory just needs to be re-seated on the netbook. But Troy will know to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard the song before. I did see Robins just this past Thursday! We had an entire yard full of them! I was so excited because that is one of the signs of Spring! I also noticed that the daffodils are up and a few are bloomed at my neighbor's house! It's not warm enough for the butterflies yet.

    I'm so happy that Reid is going to get to have his stem cell transplant now! Hope you can get your new computer fixed soon.

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't heard the song either....
    Sure hoping you get your Netbook fixed quickly and easily...... you'll need it.

    Continued prayers for Reid's treatments and complete recovery!!!
    Hugs,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are in my thoughts everyday. After the "really strong chemo" comes the tough part. But it will be over. It will get better and better till he forgets how bad it really was sometimes.

    So I did a google search for your song and came across this guy:
    www.timcain.com. He is a children's musician and his lyrics are here: http://www.timcain.com/lyrics/TimCainGardenLyrics.pdf
    Page 9 of the PDF is the song you quoted. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.