Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Stem Cell Collection

Today was the first day of the stem cell harvest.  Reid was hooked up to the apheresis machine around 9:25 this morning and was finished around 12:30.  This is the apheresis machine with Reid's blood being taken in, stem cells removed, and then the blood returned to him.  (He chose not to be in the picture.)
                                     
                                     

And here are the stem cells hanging in the bag to the right.


After this he had to have more platelets transfused.  I was kind of surprised that he still needed another transfusion today.  Hopefully, that will be it for a while.

Tomorrow morning he has to call at 8:00 to see if they got enough stem cells today for the transplant.  They probably didn't since we were told it normally takes anywhere from 3 to 5 days, but they said to call before he comes down.  Then we'll know whether or not he still needs the Neuprogen shots.  He'll continue to have them until they have enough stem cells.  He'll be glad when he doesn't need them any longer because they cause bone pain and he's been having terrible headaches from them.  Even if they have enough stem cells he still has to be down there for a bood draw, so we'll be making the trip again tomorrow.

Today the sun came out so I went outside for a few minutes while Reid was hooked up to the machine.  The press is being shown some Texas hospitality.  They now have all the conveniences of home.





4 comments:

  1. Oh, Betty, I'm thinking of you. What a process. I heard from Timothy; he's landed in Afgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww man. That is a serious contraption. I almost want to say "Beam me up, Scottie!".

    Tell Reid to keep rockin' on!

    He's the real star in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get queasy just thinking about all the needles involved.
    Hope you get more sunshine today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty, it is positively amazing what they do now a days. I hope and pray all will go well for Reid. Please say a belated Happy Birthday to him. I had a terrible flu cold last week and forgot to check blogs. I'm much better today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.