Friday, June 28, 2013

"F" as in not FUNNY!!!

It's time once again for Ms. Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday and this week we are studying the letter "F" as in not FUNNY!

What's wrong with some people?  I know we live in the age of social media where often people get themselves in trouble for Twittering or posting something hastily without thinking first.  However, what happened in Atlanta last week took advanced planning.  Did you hear about the Sports Radio hosts who thought it was FUNNY to do a skit mocking a 36 year old former NFL player battling ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)?



Their skit brought back painful memories of my friends battling ALS.  Yes, over the years I've lost three friends to ALS and got to witness first hand their gradual decline until their bodies could no longer sustain life.  Believe me, there was nothing FUNNY about it.  They gradually lost the ability to walk, speak, and swallow.  I believe what ultimately took their lives was heart failure due to starvation.

I took this description from the ALS Association website:

What is ALS?

En español
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease," is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.


Hardly FUNNY, but you can click here to listen for yourself.  It's totally tasteless, so I'll give you a quick synopsis in case you don't want to hear it.  They pretend to be interviewing former New Orlean's Safety Steve Gleason and use a robotic voice to imitate the computerized voice he must use to communicate now.  They have "Steve" saying he might be gone by next Thursday and doing knock knock jokes and asking to be smothered.  There was more, but that will give you a general idea of their sick humor.

When I listened to the skit I shed a few tears.  I cried for my friends that are gone, for Steve Gleason, and for everyone battling this cruel disease for which there is no real treatment or cure.


I'm glad to say that these broadcasters have been fired.  In my opinion they should never have access to live air waves again.  How could anyone think that poking fun of a young dying man is FUNNY?

I just don't get it.

Please head over to Jenny Matlock..."off on my tangent" for a list of this week's Alphabe-Thursday participants.

 Thanks for listening to my rant.  Can you tell I'm mad?

6 comments:

  1. Our society is going to hell in a hand basket! Pardon my French! But it's true! We have so much stupidity going on right now that it is hard to even watch the news! That was a terrible thing for someone to do and you know they knew better! I for one hate what is going on with Paula Deen. Then there was a middle school boy in WV that wore a NRA shirt with a gun on it to school. They brought in the cops and had the boy arrested and taken to jail! They finally dropped the charges but I don't think they were going to it went on for around 3 months or longer. Then another blogging friend put up a link where a preacher is in jail for having Bible Study at his house in Arizona!!! Seems like there was something else stupid that went on today....

    I'm so sorry about your friends Betty. I've not known anyone with that but I know with any type of disease or cancer or whatever it is hard to watch the ones that you love suffer.

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. If some people had brains, they'd be downright dangerous.

    I had to deal with some thoughtless people during my Mother's long PSP journey. These were hospital people, people that should have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live here in Atlanta and I must have missed it - I have been hearing about Paula Deen. They both make me made. When are people going to get the fact we need to build one another up not down - or we are going to be a sad society! I am so sorry. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betty! Good to have you here! Before I comment on ALS. having lost an aunt to it, there is also idiot Bill Marr and stupid Barbara Walters! Now I am not a fan of Sarah Palin, not with her reality show and other family drama but calling her son retarded and no one in the real news making any remarks about it makes me sick! Just because our current government has no regard for unborn babies, those with disabilities and the elderly the rest of us should not sit back and watch! As for ALS my mom lost her younger sister exactly one week from the day we lost my dad. She was very fortunate to have passed away in her sleep. SO sad. A horrible disease, now they are saying they are unsure Lou Gehrig had it! Aack! My mom had a good friend who lost her daughter to it also. Joanne was once a beauty queen and very beautiful. The disease took her life away from her moment by moment. Nothing funny about it at all! Thanks for sharing.
    As for Paula Deen, what kind of horrible person thinks having a wedding for their son with blacks dresses as slaves waiting on whites is hilarious! Sick, absolutely sick. You know the bible says Pride comes for a fall and Paula Deen got too darn big for her britches! Ugh! Not to mention she sold her soul to the big pharms for big bucks too! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy moose-poops! The unmitigated gall...some people
    are just born ignorant...glad they were fired!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree there is nothing funny about that...

    I will never understand people preying on the misfortunes of others.

    Fabulous post for the letter "F"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.