Saturday, August 28, 2010

ANOTHER FAMILY UPDATE

Reid spent the good part of three days down at MD Anderson this week having all the fun tests and scans.  Friday was his appointment with the Oncologist.  This was his first time back since completing chemo and radiation.

The news was good, but with a disclaimer.  His PET scan didn't light up which means it didn't detect cancer cells.  That's very good news.  However, the CT scan showed that the mass in his chest did not shrink and in fact "might" have increased in size.  That's the disclaimer part.

The Oncologist said he was still very pleased and felt that because of the size of Reid's mass originally it will take a long time to shrink.  He didn't seem to think the word "might" was that critical.  He said that they'll just keep an eye on it and Reid has to return in three months or sooner if he has any symptoms.  He said with the negative PET scan it was too soon to worry. 

Reid was hoping that the chemo port would finally be removed, but the Oncologist wants to leave it in for at least three more months.  That means once a month he has to go down and have it flushed which is what he really doesn't like.  When they flush the port he gets a metallic taste in his mouth which triggers a memory of feeling sick during chemo.

Next week he has an appointment with the Radiologist, so we'll hear what she has to say too.

Our concern is that MD Anderson picked him up under their financial aid program for one year and the year is up in November.  We don't know what will happen after that date.  He can reapply, but there are no guarantees.  Reid doesn't have insurance and we don't feel like we'll be able to find any for him with a preexisting condition.  We're still waiting to hear about his SSI appeal.  He can no longer do physical work, so he's looking into school.  He'll probably be taking one or two classes until he builds up more stamina.

We keep moving forward one step at a time.  Reid keeps smiling.  His glass is always half full.

Meanwhile, Dad has been going downhill.  I got a call from his doctor on Friday, but got home too late to return the call.  I'll call him back on Monday.  However, last night a nurse from the nursing home called and said that my father is anemic and that iron had been ordered for him.  I recall that happening once before when he was still living in NJ.  Perhaps with iron he'll perk up a little.

Thank you for your prayers and support.

7 comments:

  1. That is great news that the PET scan was negative. I will have to say that I get a metalic taste in my mouth when I have a sinus infection even when I was a kid. I've never had chemo or anything.

    Best wishes about the SS and insurance problems.

    Hugs & Prayers!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything for certain, but I thought discriminating against "pre-existing conditions" was one of the things that can no longer be in place now that the healthcare reform bill was voted in. I understood that was one thing that went into effect immediately. I hope that holds true for your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie, this is so tough. I'm sorry. The good mixed with the bad...

    Have you tried getting your congresspeople or senators involved in helping with the approval of the SSI. Sometimes they can really nudge things along.

    Sending prayers and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound positive and I think you have to believe the oncologist when he says the word "might" is not critical. I hope you can sort the insurance out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet Reid will be so glad to get enrolled in a few classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that Reid had a good PET scan and I hope and pray that the mass does keep shrinking. It is so good that he has a "glass half full"atitude --sometimes that is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty I am saying prayers for your son and Dad. You are never far from my thoughts. Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.