Saturday, June 10, 2017

Happy World Doll Day!

I couldn't miss an opportunity to celebrate World Doll Day.  You can read the history of World Doll Day here.

I've noticed that the hobby of doll collecting seems to be diminishing.  Here in Houston there will no longer be a doll show.  (There used to be two a year.)  Brick and mortar doll stores are becoming a thing of the past.  When was the last time I saw a child holding a doll in the grocery store or mall?  Now they all hold phones or some other kind of mobile device.  For the most part my fellow collectors seem to have gray hair.  Is our hobby fading away?

We have to save our passion for dolls!  I love my dolls.  They're a wonderful escape.  I enjoy sharing photos of my dolls with other people.  I guess I'm not the traditional collector.  I collect mostly the Vogue Ginny dolls that I grew up playing with in the 1950's.  I don't collect mint dolls mainly because I want to "play" with them.  I enjoy saving the "previously loved" dolls.  I love setting them up in scenes and telling a story.  I've always had a very active imagination and I guess my dolls fuel that imagination even today.

My dolls back then...
(Some were my sister's dolls too!)

Some of my dolls today...
I still have my one childhood Ginny.  (She's been re-wigged.)  She still holds a special place in my heart.

Some miscellaneous pictures of my dolls...
My sister and I had the above tin kitchen back in 1952...
That's my aunt and me on Christmas Day.

My mom with her dolls...
Circa 1920
I guess a love for dolls ran in the family!

On World Doll Day 2017 I invite everyone to come out and play!







3 comments:

  1. Dolls or the love for dolls does run deep in your family. I am sad there are no longer dolls shows. You are correct - all I see is phones - and it has taken the place of almost everything that was good and had values. I especially love your nun! You were a cutie! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I think of it, I can't recall the last time I saw a child with doll. Or, even a stuffed animal. Modern times is taking away imagination from too many children too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betty, here in Vancouver BC Canada, I actually have seen quite a few little girls holding onto dolls while I'm out shopping! It's a grand sight indeed. A lot of them are American Girl dolls too. We have a boutique here in town now, for the past 3 years. I visit it often. We must stick together! There's something enchanting about a doll. I love your old photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my little world and leave a comment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I do not receive all comments by E-mail and I'm not exactly sure why. I do try and remember to check the actual blog so I won't miss any of your comments.

I do not belong to Google+ and regret that I am unable to leave comments on Google+ blogs.

WORD VERIFICATION: I have NOT set up word verification for comments. However, every so often it appears on my blog even though I have chosen NO in the settings. Please let me know if you encounter word verification when leaving a comment so I can try and fix it. Thanks.